Thursday, June 11, 2009

Moisture

There's a great quote about parenthood which perfectly details that the main difference between life pre and post children is moisture -- the incredible amount of moisture you have in your life after having a baby in truly awe inspiring (and maybe a bit gross). I will attribute the quote to Robin Williams, but I'm really not sure if he said it...(that's another difference between pre and post children...I would have hunted the quote down and ensured it was validated and time stamped before I was a mama. Now I'm happy I've remember the basics of it...).

BTW, the one liquid that no one tells you about is your pee. After giving birth, you can't control your bladder for a couple days. At all. Every time you stand up you pee. Why does no one warn about this? It's critical information. After receiving a concerned text from my best friend after she gave birth, I asked my husband if he remembered how long it took me to stop peeing upon verticalness. It went something like this:

Friend: How long until I stop peeing when I stand up?
Me to Friend: 2 days. Then 1 week til you are comfortable that you won’t pee standing up. Then 2 weeks til you’re back to really OK.
Me to Husband: Hun, Friend just asked me how long it will take til she stops peeing when she stands up! Remember that?
Husband: No…

Me to Friend: Friend, don’t worry, your husband won’t remember.

My lesson here was it's OK to pee on the floor. As long as you have something more distracting to occupy your husband.


So the reason I'm writing about moisture is that this morning I had what I'm calling a 6th grade scientific realization.
Question: Are smooshed bananas a liquid? Let's see...

Do they maintain their mass? Yes. Check.
Do they maintain their shape? No. Check check.
Will they take the shape of whatever container in which they are placed? Check check check!
We have a liquid! (Mr. Phipps would be so proud!)

Needless to say, this experiment led to my need to change clothes, or at least some of my clothes...since I don't think you can tell my shirt has banana on it.


Luckily I wore a multi-colored yellow shirt today...kinda like walking around in a fruit-smelling water color painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment