Monday, June 15, 2009

et tu, Anita?

Let me preface this posting by saying I know my son will not be abducted by aliens, was not born into a radical cult, and that no one is stalking me because they are convinced my son is the savior of something or another. That said, I can no longer watch TV shows like CSI or Criminal Intent without nearly bursting into tears at any plot dealing with a child in any way...especially if that show resembles my life with any minute detail…say like the mom is blond, or the dad looks Italian. I used to watch these shows all the time...to the point that I had seen all of the episodes available for free on On Demand. (My husband can vouch for this -- although I don't think you'd get him to admit he married a TV-cop-show-junkie.)

But I can still read all the books I want to...or so I thought. My favorite author is Anita Shreve. So Friday while at lunch (after the horror of the $75 t-shirt) I went to the bookstore for my fix. Got the new Shreve novel, and dove in on my commute home. It starts off with instant drama (won't ruin it for any fellow Anita-lovers). Fab. Then Chapter 2. A mom. She took a Wednesday off work to take care of her doctors' appts...3 of them...derm, dentist, gyno. And before she could start the day, she gets a call about her son. Not a good call.



OK. So this week, I AM TAKING WED OFF OF WORK for 3 DOC APPTS!! Yes...DERM, DENTIST, and GYNO! Are you kidding me?? Again, I am still somewhat grounded in reality and I am not going to do anything insane (although I did consider adding a 4th appt so I wouldn't have the EXACT same plan as this novel character), and I know this is just an odd coincidence, but what the hell?


No comments:

Post a Comment