Thursday, August 12, 2010

Do as I say...not as I do.

I've been running into some challenges recently with teaching John the "right" way to do things. He can see with his own two eyes that other people are getting to do things in not-quite-the-right way, so why should he have to do things correctly? Good question. Any answers?

Here are two examples:

1. Annie spits. She's 5.5 months old, and is now at the phase of discovering what her own body can do -- rolling over, reaching and grabbing objects she wants, scooching herself to try to move, and yes...making raspberries. She'll make them while she's eating, while she's resting, while she's whatevering. We've been telling John repeatedly that the only time he can spit is when brushing his teeth, and it must be into the sink. But then why is Annie allowed to spit whenever and wherever she wants? And we just laugh? Hmmmmm?????

2. The waitstaff at Ed Debevic's stand on the tables. My sister takes John on dates on Sunday afternoons, and they often times end up eating at Ed Debevic's. And she's run into this same "rule" issue...why is John not allowed to stand on the booth seat if the waitress is standing on the TABLE?? Now that's just NOT fair.
I am pretty sure that at some point in my childhood I promised I would never say this...but...I'm the mama. That's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment