Friday, July 1, 2011

I'm Margaret

About a month ago, we took John and Annie to see our niece Margaret's ballet recital. She was wonderful and adorable, as all 5 year old ballerinas are. And she inspired John.

John now puts on recitals for us. They start with him behind the curtains in our room. Then we have to open the curtains for him, and he says (proudly): Hello. I'm Margaret and I'm a dancer.

Then we must say: Hi Margaret!

And the show begins. It usually has some bouncing, some very impressive dive-roll somersaults, and lots of twists and turns. If we're lucky, he'll ask me to put a bow in his hair to complete the whole performance.

There are parents who may think letting him pretend he's a girl or putting bows in his hair is somehow gender-bending ala that J. Crew ad...to those folks I don't say anything. My beautiful, well adjusted, rock star son speaks for me.

Next showtime is 7am tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. what's nice and user friendly is he so clearly signposts who/what he is. "I'm Margaret". "I 'm a kitty cat" "I'm a dog". "I'm coach". "I'm daddy". "I'm a magician".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo. I have to be reminded some times that we live in a world where parents fear their kids might be (made) gay. I don't want to live in a world, like that, but I can only make MY world different. Gender bend it like Beckham, I say. I'm sure, having never met him, that John is awesome, and will be more so because of his parents.

    ReplyDelete